Thursday, July 26, 2007

Yikes!


Normally animals don't creep me out . . .. but these do. These are camel spiders, and they live in the desert in Iraq. Just their bodies alone are about six inches long - not including their legs. They can move up to 10 miles an hour. They hate the sun, and always try to stay in the shade. If there is no shade they will follow people through the desert trying to stay in the person's shadow. So sometimes soldiers were being chased by these things. The spiders can jump pretty far, and if you run away from them and move their shade, they will keep following you. If you fall and trip they will run as fast as they can to burrow under your body for shade.

They are also cannibals - look in the picture - the bottom one is eating the top one.

We heard that some of these things actually live in North America - but only in Mexico . . . . oh yeah, and that one I put under Uncle Scott's bed.

Sweet dreams Uncle Cares-a-lot!

love, Punk

P.S. Hey Uncle Brian I know your deepest fear, so you better be nice - or you'll end up like Uncle Scott. Here is a link to show the damage camel spiders can do . . . . spiderbite
Mwaaa ha ha ha ha . . . .

7 comments:

Aunt H xox said...

That's right Punk - keep those crazy uncles in there place! Just for the record - I'm pretty sure that a spider that size will give Uncle B a heart attack! you may want to use a different bug if you just want to scare him.

Melanie said...

Gaaaaaaaaa... after reading your blog, I did a Google search. I found lots of stuff, plus I found this creepy video. Check it out, YIKES!

http://video.clipstream.com/content/c/camel_spiders/

Anonymous said...

Icky. Yucky. Eeeeewwwww.....

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

-Uncle B

Anonymous said...

Dear Punk

I have a magic mirror in my pocket that projects an invisible spider shield around me at all times. I also had a curse put on me once that makes other insects turn into flowers if they come within 100 ft. My only weakness is if I am forced to eat banana splits or thrown into a briar patch. So whatever you do DO NOT make me eat a banana split!

BTW - Ideally the toppings that make me weakest go as follows - scoop of vanilla with pineapple topping, scoop of chocolate with strawberry topping, scoop of vanilla with choclate sauce.

Hopefully see you soon

~S

Anonymous said...

Well there hasn't been much new here lately...Did you run out of animals to save?

Well how about rescuing this little guy?

http://www.metropaws.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MPKD03

-Uncle B

Schroeder said...

GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!