Friday, October 5, 2007

non-disectable frog


Scientists in Japan have found a way to create a see-through frog. They created this amphibian by breeding a Japanese brown frog for a recessive gene. They created this frog so that people did not have to disect frogs to learn about them. HOOORAAAAAYYY!

If two of the see-through frogs breed, they will have see-through babies, BUT if those babies have babies, their babies will die in a couple of hours. The scientists don't know why that happend yet, but MY theory is they are too pale, or that maybe they are passing on another gene in addition to the paleness gene. Here is a cool picture of one - you can see it's eggs. I will try to put a video on here later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is cool but boy, do they look kind of creepy. Are those eggs that you can see in the side of the frog? When you said that the baby's babies wouldn't survive and wondered about this, I could envision you as a professor at a prestigious university some day, working as a biologist, figuring out all these cool things about animals.

I will never make Schroeder or Medea disect anything at school. I think it's disgusting that they still do that. I had to do it in high school and can tell you that I learned absolutely nothing from it, other than the fact that I never, ever wanted to cut an animal apart again.

Anonymous said...

That is really cool! I would want to cut him open and see how that see-through skin works...

~S